Wednesday, July 06, 2011

You Win Some, You Lose Some.

And it still makes you cry. What does exactly? Losing a good percentage of my blood sweat and tears from the past several months.

We NEED rain. We're in a drought. I get it. And I am fully guilty of doing raindances (of sorts), talking to the sky in hopes of a watery response, and flat out begging the heavens to open up.

And they did. In abundance and with a vengeance. It rained so hard and so fast last night, that not only did my neighbor call to check in on me at 2am, but my phone (and I will admit I sleep with it next to my pillow) on the loudest setting was drowned out by the roar of the rain. Albeit the roar of the rain on my aluminum 'roof' on the glorified speaker tube I live in, but the rain nonetheless. Oh. And I was awake at the time.

The most obvious loss is the tomatillos - and I'm not ready to admit their loss. I went out to check the garden on the way to the blueberry patch (they are really starting to come in!), but saw the devastation and got stuck in emergency gardening mode.

First I broke down and cried in the middle of my garden. Like giant heaving sobs. I almost called my mom, (Hi Lone Reader!!) but was afraid she'd think someone died or something if I called her at 6am (her time). Someone other than plants who don't talk back when you talk to them, I mean. Those of you who know me personally will not be so terribly surprised by any of this. But then I felt like I had to pull myself up by my proverbial bootstraps (I wear flipflops), and come up with a battle plan.

I trimmed the tomatillos. Then I cut off what I thought were the most vigorous tops, dipped them in rooting hormone, and planted them in pots I filled with a combination of topsoil, vermiculite and perlite. All I had was a 1/2 bag of topsoil that had been sitting out (in the rain) all season and was looking a little funky, but I loaded it up with as much of the Ites as possible and I have my fingers crossed. The rooting hormone I got on sale thinking that at some point I wanted to play with propagating grapes or something (OK - really I didn't have a plan), but I am so happy I had it. Ditto for the Ites!

I only had 45 minutes to get something figured out before I had to go to work, and I felt like I had to give it a go before I left - by the time I got home it would be too late!

Fingers crossed, people. Fingers crossed.

(and note to self: no more dances of the "asking for things" type)

yeah.

The good news: I found 3 picture-perfect tomatillos that were ready for harvest

The bad news: I have 3 of these containers full of teensy (as in most are the size of peas) tomatillos I'm not quite sure what to do wtih. I'll probably dry them. Never tried it, but I hear reports of them making salsa as good as fresh tomatillos. And that way they won't take up freezer space.

5 comments:

Steve said...

I'm so sorry to hear that- what a bummer! I hope your salvage efforts pay off.

chimpchampion said...

Nooooooo!

Way to wrangle victory from the clutches of the Thunder Gods, though! Kick rocks, Thor! :D

caitlinvb said...

Thanks boys! It's rough because I've also lost my tomatoes, cukes (that were pretty much done), and a few other things....the jury's out on my pole & pinto beans (also just about done), though. It's an experimental garden this year, I'm new to NC, blah blah blah...still hurts :(

I also find it hilarious that you two are from COMEPLETELY different stage sin my life - and you live in the same city. Hrm.

Ann said...

Oh Caitlin...I am so sorry! I will treasure my cuke even more! I'll take a picture, I promise.
Of course it hurts! No matter the reason, you have worked so hard, and something like this is frustrating. I hope you can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and salvage something. And when you do (and you will), the meal you eat made from that victory will taste that much better!
You are not alone Caitlin, we are pulling for you! :)

Samantha Bangayan said...

OMG! I had no idea that NC had thundershowers like the ones here!! I'm so glad to hear that your panic and sadness mode turned into emergency mode, and that you salvaged what you could!