Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Construction Sequence


I grew up watching a lot of movies. It might be a genetic/family thing in general, but growing up in Japan that was pretty much the one thing that we could get on TV that my parents could watch. Usually about halfway to two-thirds of the way through the movie, our hero will have figured out how to solve their dilemma, and a montage set to some inspiring/dramatic/romantic (depending on the genre of said movie) music would ensue showing said hero putting their plan in motion. This is usually the point at which my dad would yell “Construction Sequence” and get up to get cigarettes/snacks/go to the bathroom/whatever. We would all be gathered back in front of the TV for the grand finale with lots of time to spare.
I am in my construction sequence. Unfortunately it involves lots of schlepping and hauling as well as constructing, but I still get my soundtrack (thanks iPhone!) and my days are a blur of hauling/shlepping/constructing/fixing/watching/notetaking/job-hunting, and is beginning to feel quite montage-y.
I hope to not have a grand finale of any kind any time soon, but I can’t wait to see the fruits of my plan.
Yes. In this metaphor, I AM  the hero.
Gathering of the cast of thousands.
The floor of my shed is my workbench. Here I am making corner brackets. That is actually a clean thumbnail.
As much as I hate doing it, working with new wood - even if it is just furring strips - is so nice.
Good to know that California includes untreated wood dust on its extremely long list of things that will most definitely kill you.

No comments: