Tuesday, August 17, 2010

#7

Things to do before I leave California #7: Figure out what the hell kind of flower this is:



Over the past 8 years I have asked everyone I know AND have even gone so far as to post a pic on a few forums....to no avail. It seems to be the general consensus that the flower is so common to these woods up here no one really talks about it, hence no labelling. If any part of the plant were edible, it might be a different story, but....

Here's another hint:



As I was sitting at my moving sale talking to my landlady (rather I was talking to the huckleberry bushes - she was completely enmeshed in them picking berries....), she off-handedly mentioned that they were Clintonia (a beaded lilly). In a millisecond, all was solved. Err. Rather after I wikipedia'd it on my iPhone with one bar of reception it was found to be a specific kind of Clintonia. Woot!

Turns out I had seen the east coast version (white to light yellow flowers) a bunch, but never saw them make beads and so didn't make the connection..... mystery solved!

No comments: