Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Small Victory

It is the little things in life that just seem to get ya. Both good and bad. Thankfully I had a good one.

Remember this guy?


Behold, ten days later:


Oh yeah baby. That's a baby artichoke. Yupperybob, an artichoke.

I only really planted it (in the teensiest tiniest bed I could find) as whimsical luxury item. Last year I planned and planned and planned and planned and.... and this was my one "we'll just see if it works out" item.

And then when the drought hit and I had to haul water out of my 46-ft deep well to use only on a select few plants. I mulched these artichokes and moved on with a heavy heart.

3 died.

One shriveled into a tiny little thing that the marigolds I planted around it DWARFED by comparison.

When October rolled around, I re-mulched, threw frost blanket over the whole thing and went about my way.

When I uncovered the frost blanket, the 3 dead ones had come back to life. And the tiny one seems to be flourishing!

2 comments:

Samantha Bangayan said...

Woohoo! Congrats! =)

The JR said...

GREAT! I bought 2 and both have already croaked this year.