Friday, December 16, 2011

Chicken Saddles

So. If you know me well, you know that I am against clothing on animals. Abhor would be more like it. I don't abide by dogs wearing cute little coats, and all that. My puppy agrees, and the one time she had a costume on (in obedience class. The one I HAD to take to be able to adopt her...the instructor put a princess costume on her...), she patiently waited until he had finished and turned his back before she shredded it into itty-bitty bits of pink confetti... but I digress.

My chickens now wear saddles. What is a chicken saddle? It is basically an apron they wear on their backs to protect them from the amorous yet less-than-gentle attentions from the roosters. Some of them have had most of their central back feathers torn out, and a few of them have had their sides scratched up. Big Bunny, our main rooster who gets the majority of the hen riding time, doesn't really have his spurs yet so it's really just his nails that have managed to inflict this much damage. And since I don't want to get rid of any of my three roosters (for quite a few reasons...), this is my current solution. I have 3 of the hens outfitted so far (turns out you can get about 4 out of an old pair of jeans), and will outfit two more... Waddly Wanda doesn't need one. The roosters leave her alone as she's currently not laying.

Cindy
Cindy got the prototype, and it's gathered at the top as it's held together with a button. Subsequent versions have the straps just sown on, and don't bunch. Still working on the right pattern, but so far so good!

See the dark grey on Henny Penny's back between her back feathers and tail feathers? That's down that wouldn't be visible if she weren't missing back feathers...
Currently they're all being made out of an old pair of jeans, but somehow I see camo chicken saddles in the future... oh boy.

3 comments:

Jennie Fais said...

Caitlin! This is your ticket to fame and fortune!!! There must be all sorts of Urban Chicken-raisers who don't want to do in their roosters either and are looking for a kinder/gentler solution. Send me your pattern and I can help make you some (well - maybe after the holidays....)

Steve said...

I need to share this idea with my mother-in-law! She has several hens whose backs are scratched to hell.

caitlinvb said...

Alas, Aunt Jennie, I cannot take credit for this being my idea. Although it is my pattern. I'm still working on it.

Steve! I'd be happy to send you a few for your mother-in-law if you let me know what kind(ish) she has (for sizing) and give me some feedback on the pattern...